Nevada Historical Marker 261
Lake Tahoe Basin, Douglas County
Located at Spooner Summit parking lot, US Hwy 50, 12 miles west of Carson City, Nevada
Johnson’s Cutoff, also called the Carson Ridge Emigrant Road, passed over Spooner Summit and down Clear Creek Road from 1852 through 1854, but was rugged and little used. With discovery of the Comstock Lode in 1859, Spoo ner Summit became a focal point on the viagra cheap generic most heavily traveled branch of the bonanza road system linking Placerville, California, and the new towns east of the Sierra Nevada. Territorial governments granted franchisces to provide individuals or companies, allowing them to build and maintain toll roads. The Rufus Walton (Clear Creek) Toll Road replaced Johnson’s Cutoff in 1860, providing a better route around the southeast shore of low price levitra Lake Tahoe via Glenbrook.
LUMBER FOR THE COMSTOCK
Massive amounts of wood were sent to the Comstock Lode from the Carson Range and the Tahoe Basin. Initially wood was hauled by wagon, but soon the transport included trains, steamboats, and water flumes.
Spooner Summit is in the midst of a former logging landscape. In 1873, logging in the area was consolidated by formation of the Carson and online medications viagra Tahoe Lumber and Fluming Company. Workers were housed at a small settlement called Summit Camp, built along one side of the toll road. From 1875 to 1898 the company operated the levitra sale Lake Tahoe Railroad along 8.75 miles of the line from Glenbrook to woman and cialis this spot. The difficult route included switchbacks and a 487-foot tunnel just west of the summit. The narrow-gauge railroad’s sole purpose was to haul timber and lumber for building purposes and cordwood for fuel. This wood was transferred to an 11-mile long V-flume that extended from Spooner Summit down Clear Creek to Carson Valley. There the wood was loaded on tramadol overnight pharmacy the Virginia and Truckee Railroad for the rest of its trip to the Comstock. At its peak the Comstock consumed about 80 million board feet of levitra discount drugs lumber and 2 million cords of firewood each year. About 300,000 board feet of wood passed over Spooner Summit each day.
This route was improved in 1863 with the completion of the Lake Tahoe (Bigler) Wagon Road, also called the Kings Canyon Road. About 5,000 teamsters were moving goods along roads leading to the Comstock in 1863, but traffic began to decline in 1875.
Stations were built at convenient intervals along the roads. Swift’s Station was about two miles east of Spooner Summit on the Kings Canyon Road. In 1863, Spooner’s Station, located near the current junction of US 50 and SR 28 (a mile west of here), had a hotel, saloon, houses, blacksmith shop, and two barns.
Introduction of automobiles into the which is better viagra cialis Tahoe Basin rapidly changed the character of the place, making it accessible for far more people as a growing tourist destination. Early in the twentieth century, the decaying bonanza system of wagon roads had to watershedallianceofsandysprings.org serve the needs of http://www.racio.cz/how-to-get-viagra-illegaly the automobile travelers.
In 1913, the Lincoln Highway Association designated the road up Kings Canyon, over Spooner Summit, and through Glenbrook as part of the Lincoln Highway. The highway was a private concept intended to enhance long-distance automobile travel by establishing the first transcontinental route. Actual work on this section began in 1914 when the Carson Good Roads Association placed redwood markers every mile. Each marker displayed the highway symbol and tramadol 100mg distances to Carson City, Glenbrook, and San Francisco. During this period one motorist described part of the road as “a narrow shelf along a barren, rocky mountain side.”
Little more than light maintenance was done on the road even after it was included in the Nevada State Highway System as part of Route 3. In 1923, the portion of Route 3 between Spooner’s Station and the state line was incorporated into the Forest Highway System, making funding available for major improvements. In 1927 and 1928, a graded two-lane automobile road was built along Clear Creek, over Spooner Summit, and on to Glenbrook. A combination of state and Forest Highway funds paid for the work. The new road became part of US 50. In the 1930s, the road was oiled and surfaced with asphalt. Snow removal allowed year-round access to the lake. Finally, in the late 1950s, this portion of US 50 was upgraded to the present two lanes.
STATE HISTORIC PRESERVATION OFFICE
SPONSORED BY NEVADA DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION
PROPERY OF THE STATE OF NEVADA